The download dilemma


Still struggling to focus on too much, but I've written a few pieces and I've done some work for a few clients, and the other day I felt the momentum of a bigger piece of writing coming closer.

The mister wants to read Malcolm Turnbull's book, but I said no way am I giving any money to the man. The cheek of pushing his way back into our lives while we're living with the full impact of Morrison as Prime Minister and Dutton still firmly embedded there and telling us that he 'regrets' giving Dutton home affairs. Either it's a plea for absolution from us, or it's his attempt to absolve himself and show that none of this is his fault. Either way, no way am I buying his book. Instead, I bought the mister a copy of The Enigmatic Mr Deakin by Judith Brett and we can learn about a prime minister who didn't leave us with Dutton.

Now that we've got that out of the way, onto other things. It's all gone strange again, as we look towards a time that we're going to move out of our houses a bit more. 'Is it time to go to school again?' doesn't have the urgency or intensity of 'Is it time to stay home from school?' But nonetheless it's a cognitive preoccupation.

I'm not ready to download the app which so many people have already done. Here again, I have a bit of a partisan issue, because I feel like downloading the app is the equivalent of voting for Scott Morrison, or at least endorsing him. And I do not endorse that message.

And it sets a terrible precedent. Giving a government such power. I know everyone is saying, but if you're on facebook ... it isn't the same. For one thing, I've learnt a lot of things from being on facebook, and one of those is to not give your data away so freely.

But when I think about the people I love who really are made unsafe by the virus, I think how selfish it is to now download it. It makes me feel physically pained. And then, not downloading the app is almost like being an anti-vaxxer. Not the tinfoil hat part, because I think of course we are right to question how safe our data ultimately is, and the likelihood of that data later being used for purposes other than this. But not downloading the app is like skating in on everyone else's herd immunity. Being protected by your community, but without playing your part in protecting your community. And that really runs counter to everything I've always believed about myself.

So when the legislation is passed and the source code is shared then I'll download it. I do think the concerns remain valid, but I'll play my part in helping to ensure a healthy community. And I'll make it clear it's not a vote for Scott Morrison, it's a vote against the coronavirus.

The End. Or is it?

Comments